Tuesday, January 12, 2010

A Pretty Picture and a Recipe



We went grocery shopping today and picked up some oats and produce. I cannot explain it, but I find joy in coming home and putting away our newly bought produce. In the picture we have bananas, apples, limes, tomatoes, avocados, garlic, and jalapeno peppers. I just find a display of fresh fruits and vegetables to be really pretty.

Also, today I made up a batch of Crockpot Refried Beans. We like this recipe because it's easy and it makes a large batch. I do this every so often, use what we need, and then freeze the rest.

Crockpot Refried Beans

3 cups dry pinto beans
8-1/2 cups water
1 onion, diced
1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 t. cumin
2 t. salt
1/2 t. black pepper

Combine all ingredients in crock pot. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours. Drain out most of the water. Mash beans with potato masher, adding some liquid back if needed. Can be portioned out and frozen for later use.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I never thought of freezing refried beans. Do you add any fat? I was told, lard or bacon grease makes it really good. Thanks for the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete