Saturday, January 16, 2010

A Day In The Garden

Today was such a nice day that we decided to get some outside projects done around the house. Since we're going to have so much to do in the garden this spring, we thought this would be a good day to get the garden cleaned up. When the previous owners left, they left us with the remains of their last garden, so we had lots of corn stalks, tomato plants, and okra plants to dispose of.

While pulling out tomato plants, Sarah was very excited to find several small onions.



My enthusiastic helpers



I can't believe I'm putting this one on here, but Shawn insisted. I think he thinks I'm cool with my gun belt on.



See that?? Worms! We never had worms in our soil at the old house..yay!!



Sarah climbing trees. She's turning into a country girl very quickly!



Sam helping Daddy take buckets to the barn.



Shawn and Sarah inside our chicken coop. That's still an unfinished project right now..cleaning the coop and readying it for our first chickens this spring.



Andrew may not have helped us outside today, but I just couldn't leave him out since everyone else got their picture posted today! (These are the most common pictures I get of him lately..him running to attack me and the camera.)



While outside, I was trying to decide what all we were going to plant this year. Looking around, I saw that even if we planted absolutely nothing then we would still have to harvest: asparagus, blackberries, blueberries, strawberries, grapes, pears, apples, plums, peaches, walnuts, pecans, and hazelnuts. So, as of right now I plan on keeping our first year simple. I don't think I can handle much more than what's already going to be growing. I think we'll fill the garden with only three more things: tomatoes, green beans, and corn. I'll probably also plant some sunflowers along the fence for the birds just because the kids liked growing them last year at our old house. So, that's the current plan..at least until I change my mind!

No comments:

Post a Comment