Thursday, January 28, 2010

Preparing for the Worst

We've done about all we can do to prepare for this big winter storm, I guess.

I baked two loaves of bread and made a batch of granola cereal today. I baked a dozen banana nut muffins yesterday and they're sitting in the freezer waiting for us. We've filled several buckets and rubber tubs with water for flushing and such. We have bottled water and have filled several pitchers full of water for drinking. Of course, there's plenty of other food on hand too. (Did I mention we just bought a 1/2 cow recently?) Shawn has brought in several loads of wood and there's a fire burning in the woodstove right now, which makes the house seem so nice and cozy. The generator is fueled and ready to go. The oil lamps are filled and ready to go. We should have plenty of propane for the grill and the cookstove. I did all the laundry today and all the dishes are washed. The kids have all had their baths and are in bed for the night. Shawn's taking his shower now and I'll take mine when he's finished.

When we lived at the old house we were more likely to have our power restored quickly. During the ice storm last year we were only without power for two hours while many others were without for two weeks. Out here, once the power goes out, there's no telling how long it could be out. I don't think "the middle of nowhere" is very high on the priority list. Yet, despite being in a place where we're more likely to lose power...I feel more prepared and content than when we lived at our old house. I think a big part of that is that we have a woodstove here and access to water (pond and springs) should we need it. With the possibility of massive snow and ice headed our way, there's no place I'd rather be.

Hopefully it won't be as bad as they say, but if it is, I hope you all stay safe and warm and well-fed throughout the duration.

Take care!

No comments:

Post a Comment