Wednesday, January 13, 2010

My Mental Block





Can you see the mess in the pictures? It's awful. There's a layer of dust on the curtains. There's even a string of dust on the right side of the curtain that connects to the wall. The dust on the ceiling vents needs cleaned off too. I sneeze and my whole face itches anytime I go into the bathroom where that curtain hangs. Uhh..I itch just looking at the pictures. However, I just cannot make myself clean it.

I don't know if anyone else suffers from this same inability. I know that I need to go through this house, one room at a time, and do a deep cleaning..dusting door facings and windowsills, washing windows, cleaning webs and dust off the ceilings, etc. However, I am mentally incapable of doing any type of deep cleaning until the little stuff is all done. For instance, at our old house before we moved...I couldn't dust the kids' rooms until all their toys were put away. If there were things scattered across the floor, my mind couldn't get past that to focus on the deep cleaning issues. It's the same thing at this new house only magnified times ten! Not only do I have kids' toys on the floor, but I still have half-emptied boxes to go through and a laundry room to organize.

Anyhow, I don't know when I'll actually get around to this deep cleaning stuff, but my thought process today was that, if I confessed here, then maybe I'd be motivated to GET IT DONE! I keep telling myself that I have to get it done before spring because I plan on being extremely busy outside with the garden, orchard, and chickens when things warm up. If you feel led, pray for my productivity...and my sanity!

3 comments:

  1. You're not pregnant or anything are you???Sounds like you are in the nesting mode. Ha Ha!

    I know what you mean about motivation. Mom always reminds me of the Nike quote, "Just Do It"...so true! Sometimes there are things that just need done and if we don't just do it..well it will never get done. (speaking to self here;)

    One New Year's resolution for me was simply more committed nothing going to stop me daily devotion with God. Isn't it funny how silly things blur our vision and purpose..anyway, here I go.
    You motivate me! Thank you for posting!!
    PS, I'd wait till spring...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the same way!!! The only way for me to get past those issues is to use the Flylady cleaning system...oh man I sound like a commercial, but it's so true. I have a twitter account set up to follow only her, and whenever she sends a reminder I run and do that thing. It's so nice, and I don't have to think about it too much. Also, they concentrate on one area or "focus" for the week, so that part of the house gets deep cleaned, while the rest just gets the regular pickup. I've been really blessed by it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am exactly the opposite. I don't mind clutter and stuff on the floor, but I hate dirty baseboards, fans, countertops, and vents. That doesn't mean I'm vigilant about keeping them super clean, but I'm more likely to do those things first, while the clutter builds. Sorry I have no suggestions.

    ReplyDelete