Friday, February 14, 2014

A Winter-time Week On Our Homestead - Friday

Today is the last day of our week on the homestead.  It's been nice blogging again.  I doubt I'll be able to keep up a post every day, but I would still like to post 3 times a week or so.  I know Grandma Colette loves seeing the pictures and hearing what her grandchildren are up to.

Today was Valentine's Day!  We don't do too much, but I do like making special treats for the children.  I woke a little after 6:00 this morning and had time to have a quiet cup of coffee while I checked my email.  After the children got up we did our morning chores and then I started making breakfast.  We had biscuits and sausage gravy this morning.  I made it special for Valentine's Day by using a heart cookie-cutter that Shawn's grandmother gave us several years ago.


Immediately after we cleaned up the breakfast mess I started making the cookies.  I had already made the batter last night so I took it out of the fridge and let it sit for a while.  It had gotten a little too hard.  After it thawed I was able to roll it out between two sheets of wax paper and use the heart cookie-cutter again.  Sarah has been asking for a while if we could use some of Grannie's cookie-cutters.  She was tickled to get to help make Valentine's cookies today.  I had planned on using pink and purple icing on the cookies, but Sam was having trouble choosing a cookie to eat because he said that they were all Girl Cookies.  He wanted some blue or green cookies for boys.  He was excited when he next came into the kitchen he found that Momma had made up some blue icing to give him some Boy Cookies.  (If you look back behind Sam you can see the glass canister with strawberries painted on it.  That's the jar of cookie-cutters that Shawn's grandmother gave us several years ago.)


Sarah decorated a brown paper sack with hearts and a rainbow.  We put some cookies in there and Shawn took it out to the mailbox as a surprise for our mail carrier.  Unfortunately the mail had already run.  I have the bag set aside for tomorrow.  As long as the cookies are still moist tomorrow then we'll tuck the treat back in the mailbox.

By this time Shawn had come home from work.  We had leftovers for lunch and then we let the children open up the Valentine gifts that Grandma Colette had sent.  They were looking forward to this all week.  Sam loved the notebook that he received to put stickers in..only he didn't use it for stickers.  He's in the process of writing down "Sam's Speech" in the notebook.  Sarah has been wearing her bracelet today.  She's excited because it matches a necklace that we gave her for Christmas last year.  Andrew promptly put together the puzzle that he received and David kept running around the house showing everyone his motorcycle.  He'd hold it up in the air and say, "Me motorcycle!  Me motorcycle!"

The children went down for naps and Shawn and I even took naps on the couches today.  It was a cloudy, rainy, gloomy day.  It was a good day for naps.  When naptime was over we allowed the children to watch the video that Grandma Colette had sent with Sam's Valentine gift.  It was a really cute movie.  I went to the kitchen to work on supper.  Shawn and Sam did the outside chores today.  They brought in 12 eggs for me today.  We had homemade pizzas tonight.  While the pizzas were baking I had the children make a video for Grandma Colette:


After supper we had Bible time and then the children got ready for bed.

I hope I didn't bore you too much with our week.  I hope to write up another blog post soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment