Monday, February 10, 2014

A Winter-time Week On Our Homestead - Monday

Sometimes the weekdays can be draining.  Weekends are so much easier because Shawn is here to help control the chaos.  He does little things like starting the coffee, getting David dressed, washing up the breakfast dishes, and taking care of feeding and watering the animals.  When he's not here through the week it's just not as much fun.

I woke at 7:30 and nursed Anna while the children did their morning jobs.  Then I did my morning routine of getting David dressed, making the bed, getting myself dressed, starting a load of laundry, pulling out meat to thaw for supper, starting coffee, and putting away the dry dishes.  Then I started on breakfast.  This morning we just had a simple breakfast of fried eggs, toast, and fermented pickles.  We did our morning Bible study.  The children and I read a Psalm each morning and then we also read the Proverb that matches the date.  So, today we read Proverb 10.

It snowed again this morning.  We weren't expecting more snow.  I took fresh water out to the animals since everything is still horribly frozen.  Fortunately, the sun came out as soon as the snow stopped so everything that had just fallen melted very quickly.

After breakfast we cleaned up the kitchen.  I took my load of laundry out to the dryer.  Today was Office Day for me so I made sure that I updated the budget, planned the week's menu, and wrote out the grocery list for the week.  I also wrote up the previous blog post, checked my email and my favorite websites.  Then I vacuumed the house.  The children played and read books while I worked on my jobs.

Today the children learned about our state's history, some famous explorers, and World War II.  Andrew enjoyed learning the months of the year and the correct names for a variety of animal families.

We had soup for lunch today and then Anna and David went down for naps.  Shawn came home shortly after that.  The older three children went outside with him while I stayed inside to finish up my office work.  I also watered all of our inside plants and folded up the laundry.

Shawn hauled some more wood up from the barn.  He refilled the chickens' feed and gathered eggs.  We only got 9 today.  He attached the handles and weather stripping to the new bike building too.

The highlight of the day was that we got a package in the mail from Grandma Colette.  It was a Valentine's package for the whole family.  There were wrapped gifts in there for the children.  I put those on top of the entertainment center so they can be opened on Friday.  There was also a Bible DVD in there that the children were excited about.  They immediately wanted to watch it, so we let them watch while supper was cooking.


She also had a really neat coffee mug personalized for us with the children's Christmas picture on it.  I think Shawn has decided to use it at work.  This way he gets to show off his children and his mug won't get confused with anyone else's!  Thank you Colette for all of the wonderful gifts!

For supper tonight we had pork loin roast, corn, and peas.  We still have chocolate chip cookies, so those were passed out for dessert.  Shawn worked on kitchen clean-up while I ground up some spelt and soaked it in buttermilk for bread-baking tomorrow.  The children did their night-time jobs then we all assembled in the living room for Bible time.  After Bible time we watched an episode of the Andy Griffith Show.  Then children went to bed.  Now I'm at the computer and Shawn is drawing up a blueprint for his next project..another chicken coop specifically for our broody hens.

Oh, I almost forgot.  Sarah reminded me today that I had forgotten to trim the children's fingernails and toenails last night after bathtime.  So, tonight after supper I had to sit down and clip 40 fingernails and 40 toenails.  My life is real glamorous, right?!?

I know you just can't handle much more excitement, so I'll sign off for tonight.  Lord willing, I'll catch up with you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment