Wednesday, October 20, 2010

GAPS Pumpkin Muffins and Cupcakes

We started our adventure on the GAPS diet a week and a half ago. Well, right off the bat we had a birthday party to attend, so I had to come up with a safe birthday treat for my children. Fortunately, I was able to take our GAPS pumpkin muffins and have them serve double-duty for the birthday party. Here's what I did:

Pumpkin Muffins - Makes 2 dozen

12 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup pureed pumpkin
1 cup honey
1-1/3 cup coconut flour
1/2 tsp. sea salt
2/3 cup coconut oil, melted
cinnamon and nutmeg to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease muffin tins or use muffin papers. Whisk together first five ingredients, then add in melted coconut oil by slowly drizzling it into the bowl, whisking as you add it. (Doing it this way keeps the melted coconut oil from cooling too quickly and turning clumpy.) Add cinnamon and nutmeg to taste. Spoon into muffin pans and bake for 25 minutes or until toothpick in the center comes out clean.

Hint: If you used muffin papers (which I do because I only have aluminum muffin pans) be sure to let your muffins cool for a few minutes before peeling the papers off. If you choose to eat them immediately, the papers will stick to the super-hot muffins and you'll end up having to spoon your sticky muffin mess out of the paper...I know this from experience!

So, the morning of the birthday party I made Pumpkin Muffins and we ate a dozen of them for breakfast. The kids loved them, no surprise there.

Then I took the remaining dozen and topped them with this frosting recipe:
http://www.healthhomehappy.com/2010/10/simple-meringue-frosting-refined-sugar-free.html

Finally, I sprinkled a little cinnamon on top of the frosting to make them pretty. They were a huge hit! The pumpkin keeps the muffins/cupcakes SOOO moist.

These would be perfect for all the parties that happen this time of year. If you do try the recipe, let me know what you think!

This post is proud to be part of Real Food Wednesday at
http://kellythekitchenkop.com/2010/10/real-food-wednesday-102010.html

8 comments:

  1. Did you prepare the pumpkin yourself? If so, do you have the procedure in your blog somewhere? I got your link form Kelly the kitchen kop. - These sound YUM!!!

    Shelley~
    shell060305@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shelley, yes I made the pumpkin puree myself last fall before we moved. I detailed it in this post:
    http://sahmville.blogspot.com/2009/11/making-pumpkin-puree.html

    If you do make them, let me know how they turned out. We loved them. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this recipe! I'm looking forward to making them with my frozen pumpkin from last year too. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Made them! They are delicious and the icing was so easy and extra special. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay, I'm so glad you like them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My son has been on the GAPS diet for 2 years and 2 months. It has definitely brought healing to his gut. It made a real improvement in his behavior. I also use the techniques in the book, "Disconnected Kids." The two have been equally important in his recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Suzy, thanks for your comment. I hadn't heard of "Disconnected Kids." I'll have to check it out.

    Right now I'm really struggling with GAPS. I'm currently 16 weeks pregnant and my midwife isn't liking the dairy-free/grain-free diet. So, I'm trying to figure out a good balance between a good diet for pregnancy and a good diet for healing our son. I don't know where we'll end up, but I truly believe in the logic behind the GAPS diet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I tried it with Butternut Squash!! Sooooo good Janice! I posted about it on my page!! http://www.ledtobemsgfree.blogspot.com/2012/03/recipe-butternut-squash-cupcakes-gaps.html Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete