Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The Way To A Man's Heart

I'm excited to update on Shawn's reaction to our change in eating. First of all, he has now lost a total of 25 pounds in the last three months. The most noticable change is in his belly. Where there used to be excess, there's now a belt fastened at the smallest notch possible! We're going to have to buy him smaller pants soon!

He came home from work yesterday telling me that he didn't eat the leftovers that I packed him for lunch. Instead, he ate a big lunch that had been catered in. He had fried fish, onion rings, french fries, fried this, fried that...you get the idea. He said that it all tasted really good. He enjoyed eating it. However, about 20 minutes after eating the food his ears started ringing and he felt dizzy. He had awful brain-fog and he believes it's because of all the crud that the processed food contained.

Last week he came home telling me that a student was eating Doritos in between classes. He said that just the smell of the powder-coated chips was enough to make him feel sick. He said that, if just the smell made him feel that bad, how awful would it have been if he'd actually eaten some?

Now, don't get me wrong. This man would still jump into a bowl of Velveeta/Rotel dip if given the chance. However it's amazing to see the change in his eating preferences. He has said more than once that his body feels differently after eating a meal made at home. He said that, after a McDonald's meal, his body feels heavy and tired..like it's having to work hard to digest the food. On the other hand, after a home-cooked meal of real food, his body just feels fed..content and satisfied. I like hearing him say things like this.

This transition of eliminating processed foods and utilizing real, God-given whole foods has been made so much easier by having Shawn on board. While he may not totally understand the logic behind soaking wheat to make bread, he's ok with me doing it if it can improve our family's health. I will say though that he has shown unwavering support in locating and purchasing grass-fed meats, organic grains, and raw dairy products. Just one of the many things I love about this man.

2 comments:

  1. You're having better luck than I am. Tim is not so responsive. I bought some Ezekiel bread last weekend and he looked at me like have fun eating that. While he says he doesn't want me to buy junk, he'll cook himself a hotdog over having a salad or homemade soup anyday. Oh, well. Change takes time, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a change in Shawn! I remember all the goodies you would buy him. All I can say is Wow and hooray for Shawn.

    ReplyDelete