Friday, August 6, 2010

I Feel So Homesteader-y

When we bought this property 7-1/2 months ago, I had certain activities in mind that homesteaders do...a stereotype of what a homesteader is. It's really nice to look at my daily schedule and see that I'm now performing those activities myself instead of reading about others doing them.

I've been busy lately hanging laundry on the line, making homemade laundry detergent, cooking eggs from our own chickens and potatoes from our own garden, canning apples from our own trees, and ordering seeds for next year's garden.

Shawn has been busy battling weeds in the garden, cutting firewood, picking okra and green peppers, repairing the chicken coop, feeding chickens and collecting eggs, and trapping the animals that are trying to steal all our apples.

There's such a feeling of contentment after spending the day canning. I cannot say that I particularly enjoy canning, but I do feel good after the long day's work. I'm sweaty, achy, and probably stinky, but I actually have something to show for it.



I canned the six quarts of apples on Wednesday and then attempted making apple jelly yesterday. The jelly never seemed to gel though, so it seems that we have a lot of apple syrup instead. Looks like we'll be having pancakes for breakfast tomorrow morning.

The most wonderful feeling though, is the happiness I get from the kids' excitement.

Sarah begging to go help Daddy feed chickens and collect eggs.
Sam coming to me and asking, "Can I help you make jelly?"
All three kids scrambling to get their shoes on so they can help pick apples.

THOSE are the awesome moments that I'm enjoying most of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment